EASY CHICKEN CHOW MEIN
This is a simple homemade Chinese take-out style chow mein recipe. This is great for a dinner recipe idea. The sauce ingredient ratios can be adjusted to your preference. The marinated chicken is optional as this can also be a vegetable chow mein recipe. Be sure to check out the detailed recipe video by clicking the picture below!
CHICKEN CHOW MEIN EASY
12 oz package (340 g) chow mein noodles
1 lb (454 g) chicken breast (thinly sliced)
2 tsp baking soda
1/2 tsp white pepper
1 Tbsp (15 ml) soy sauce
1 medium carrot (julienned)
2 celery sticks (thinly sliced)
1 1/2 cups (150 g) cabbage (thinly sliced)
5 scallions (separate the whites from the green tops)
3 cloves garlic (minced)
2 tsp fresh ginger (minced) *I left this out by mistake :/
2 Tbsp (30 g) oyster sauce
2 Tbsp (30 ml) dark soy sauce
1 Tbsp Sambal (ground chile sauce)
1 1/2 tsp sugar
1 1/2 tsp rice vinegar
1 1/2 tsp sesame oil
1. To the thinly sliced chicken, add white pepper, soy sauce and baking soda, then combine and marinate for at least 15 minutes.
2. Prep the chow mein noodles, using the package instructions, shock them in cold water and drain well.
3. Spread the chow mein noodles on a baking sheet to dry until ready to use.
4. In a bowl, combine oyster sauce, dark soy sauce, Sambal, sugar, rice vinegar and sesame oil, then set aside until ready to use.
5. Preheat a large pan or wok until smoke point then add 1/4 cup of cooking oil.
6. Quickly stir fry chicken until cooked, then remove and set aside.
7. Now add prepped carrot, celery, cabbage and onion, then quickly sauté for 30 seconds. Remove from pan and set aside.
8. Add 2 more tablespoons of cooking oil along with the chopped scallion whites and ginger. Sauté quickly.
9. Now add prepped noodles and chicken, then stir fry and combine quickly.
10. Next add the sauce and coat the noodles well.
11. Add the sautéed veggies, chopped green tops of the scallion, mix and turn off the heat. Serve and enjoy!
PRINTABLE RECIPE 👉🏼